Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Why I Went To Chick-Fil-A- A Story of Love


Why I went to Chick fil A---A Story of Love

 

So, like many, I have not been to Chick-fil -A in a while now.  I have not gone to the restaurant since its scandal and allegations of anti-gay goings-on. 

I recently did a funeral for a friend’s father.  I wanted to send something, but often feel like the traditional flowers, while beautiful and thoughtful, would not serve a greater purpose.  I like to send food and give food to people.  Everyone needs food.  I was reminded of my friend’s son, a young boy, who is a very picky eater.  Most of the time he will only eat chicken chunks from guess where…Chick Fil A!  I knew most of the other food was taken of, sandwiches, sides and desserts.  I thought it best I make sure this little boy had want he would want to eat.   After all, he had just lost his Grandpa.  So, I ordered a tray of chicken chunks.  I went in, paid for them, even though it was a struggle for me.  My sister was shocked when she learned I was going to get these.  But I said to her, “love is always the right answer.”

In this case, my love for this little boy needed to override my need to support an issue of injustice.  It certainly does not mean I will patron Chick-Fil-A regularly.  What it means, is that for this moment, God was telling me to take care of this little boy who was grieving.  I am sure this little boy has no idea what an issue it was for me to buy these chicken chunks for him.  However, I know, that for a moment while enjoying his favorite food, he was comforted as he mourned.  And I was certainly glad I listened to that small inner voice that told me to take care of this boy and his needs first. 

I think we get so caught up in our issues or even justice issues that sometimes we forget that the whole reason we are fighting for the issue is for love.  Ironic, hugh?  That I would actually deny myself an opportunity to extend love because I was fighting for the right to love? 

I think the lesson I learned in this was that we need to take each moment, moment by moment.  In every moment we have the opportunity to find love or extend love.  My prayer is that I can live a life aware enough and awake enough that I continually ask myself if I am acting in love.  Everyday.  In all things.  Love.

1 comment:

  1. I love you and your discerning heart to the moon. -Mary S.

    ReplyDelete